Organization: BDC Capital
Position: Partner, Growth Venture Co- Investments Fund
Reporting Relationship: Managing Partner, Growth Venture Co-Investments Fund
Location: Montreal, Quebec
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
BDC Capital exists to help turn great ideas into great companies and great companies into engines of job growth and wealth creation.
BDC Capital is Canada’s largest and most active venture capital investor. Their equity investment approach, expert advice, and vast network helps Canadian technology innovators build world-class companies. They act as a strategic partner to Canada’s innovators. The firm’s goal is to build strong Canadian companies and propel them onto the global stage.
Flexible Investments and Specialized Services
BDC Capital offers innovative solutions, often with terms and conditions tailored to meet the unique needs of entrepreneurs and innovators looking to raise capital for their growth and transition projects.
A Team that Knows
Their team is led by professionals chosen not only for their understanding of finance and investment but also for their experience in creating business success. The BDC Capital team is designed to provide the expertise and funding needed to meet their clients’ goals.
- BDC Capital is an active investor. They put in the work needed for their funded ventures to succeed. With equity investment, expert guidance, and trusted advice, they can help their clients reach high-potential company scale.
- They invested in results. Great companies aren’t made overnight. They take time, ambition, and a long-term view. They understand this, which is why BDC Capital is a patient investor who bring tailored, value-added support based on their clients’ sector and stage.
- Their Capital’s structure, scale, and reach place them at the heart of Canada’s venture capital ecosystem. They’re more than an investor; they’re a dynamic platform here to propel the most innovative companies through development and growth.
For more information, visit BDC Capital Website
Partners actively participate in the leadership of BDCs funds, supporting the Managing Partner by sourcing potential deals, driving complex transactions, taking responsibility for the overall portfolio performance, and participating in the fund’s strategy formation.
The Growth Venture Co-Investment Fund (GVCF) team operates within BDC Capital and is focused on growing and scaling the next generation of Canadian venture-backed champions. Currently investing out of the GVCF II 350M$ growth stage fund, GVCFs participations range from $5M to $25M in late stage (>$10Min revenues) venture capital-backed companies in Canada, across a broad range of technology sectors. The GVCF team currently manages 26 active late-stage companies. Total AUM is over $500M. The GVCF team expects to launch GVCF III of $350M in April 2024.
In this role, you will be one of the main representatives of your fund, sourcing high-quality investment opportunities through rigorous and fact-based due diligence, leading syndication as necessary and executing qualified deals that ultimately shape the future of the Canadian economy. This position requires a seasoned perspective on deal-making, and top-notch ability to build partnerships within the investment community, presenting BDC Capital as a first-class investor to companies, corporates, Limited Partners, and other General Partners.
CHALLENGES TO BE MET
- Build and maintain wide and strong networks within the business and investment communities, raising the profile of the fund as a prime investor
- Build and leverage connections in the investment communities in Canada and globally to drive high-quality deal flow
- Attend conferences and networking activities, to source opportunities on behalf of the fund, and to act as an ambassador for the fund, BDC Capital and BDC
- Promote the fund, BDC Capital and BDC by speaking at conferences, publishing thought leadership material and promoting networking opportunities
- Maintain relationships and work with General Partners to identify upcoming funding rounds at attractive companies, ensuring the fund’s presence in the deal
- Coordinate team priorities to review, validate and execute due diligence activities
- Delegate, when appropriate, or lead complex due diligence for new and/or existing investment opportunities by orchestrating analyses such as market, competition, management, sales, products, capitalization tables, and anything that is relevant to determining potential business and exit strategies
- Lead the team in the production of thorough and compelling Investment Memoranda, eliciting sound rationales behind investment options and influencing the internal Investment Committee
- Prepare documents and attend relevant Investment Committees’ meetings to present investment opportunities, justify their viability, and obtain buy-in
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT & SUPPORT
- Support the Managing Partner in the team’s general management
- Contribute to identifying talent internally, hiring candidates externally, and developing high-quality team members
- Foster a high performing team environment within the internal fund built on trust, collaboration, and high aspirations
- Contribute to successful fund launch and maintenance by developing the fund’s investment thesis strategy, and tactical approach
- Work collaboratively with BDC management and colleagues in other funds to share insights and information on all investment decisions
WHAT BDC CAPITAL IS LOOKING FOR
- 10+ years of experience in a role involving structured thinking, financial analysis, and technical expertise. These profiles are likely to come from, but are not limited to:
- Finance roles: venture capital, private equity, investment banking, accounting firms
- Operator roles: technology startup, industry-leading corporation, industry specialist
- Advisory roles: consulting, law, corporate strategy, corporate development
- Bachelor’s degree in commerce, Economics, Science, Technology, Engineering or Mathematics (STEM). Other degrees are viable, if the professional has strong analytical skills
- A postgraduate degree or equivalent certification is valuable. Typical post-graduate credentials are likely to be, but are not limited to:
- Master’s degree in business administration (MBA)
- Other STEM Master’s or PhD degree
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA)
- A successful track-record of investments in private equity, venture capital or indirect investing
- Expert understanding of the deal process, from sourcing to due diligence, to portfolio management
- Ability to build a strong network in the Canadian and international investment ecosystems, sourcing deal prospects and partnership opportunities with other funds and investors
- Solid understanding of financial statements and operational topics, easily translating them into insights about the business
- Strong skills in Excel, particularly in building robust financial models that include sensitivity analysis and scenario modeling, as well as performing complex data analysis. Any other analytic tools and techniques are an asset
- Good ability to use other MS suite applications efficiently, mainly Word and PowerPoint
- Good ability to problem-solve using structured thinking and communication techniques
- Ability to write and to coach a team at writing an Investment Memo that is clear, concise, and eloquent
- Technology skills with wide application, such as coding, chemistry or electronics can be an asset
- Operational knowledge of any technical industry is an asset
- Bilingualism in French and English is an asset, particularly in presenting results and information to an executive-level audience
- Leadership to inspire and drive a team towards excellence and positive results
- Well-intentioned and generous attitude to coach and mentor team members to progress in their personal and professional developments
- Ability to work collaboratively and build positive relationships with stakeholders within and outside BDC, with a sensible approach to vertical and horizontal relationships
- Interpersonal polish and strong business communication, effectively influencing executive and operational audiences
- Continuous learning attitude, with maturity to give and take feedback constructively
- Comfort working in a fast-paced environment, with objectives to meet within tight deadlines
BDC Capital has retained Pender & Howe to lead the recruitment initiative for their Partner, Growth Venture Co- Investments Fund recruit. Pender & Howe is a boutique executive search firm specializing in collaborating with human capital leaders, governing boards, and executives in identifying exceptional leaders.
Pender & Howe understands that a diverse workforce is essential for creating an environment that fosters creativity, collaboration, and critical thinking. We actively seek out and value diverse perspectives and encourage all who are interested to apply regardless of their background.
To this end, we highly value confidentiality – both for our clients and candidates. Pender & Howe ensures that all the information that is shared with us is kept in confidence unless stated otherwise.
The Partner, Growth Venture Co- Investments Fund search is led by Michelle Moore. For consideration, please email a copy of your CV to:
Michelle Moore, Consultant