Position Title: Principal Investigator, in vitro Pharmacology
Organization: Ventus Therapeutics
Location: Montreal, QC
At Ventus, we are pioneering a unique approach to structure-based drug discovery to address biologically validated, but elusive, drug targets. Using two platforms, we expand the set of targets amenable to small- molecule medicines including targets which have never been drugged and others for which existing chemical matter leaves significant room for improvement.
We are rapidly advancing a pipeline of new medicines to treat autoimmune and inflammatory diseases, neurological disorders, and cancer. Our most advanced programs are enabled by our structural biology and computational chemistry capabilities that unlock rational, structure-based drug discovery for nodal targets in innate immune pathways. In addition, our ReSOLVE platform reveals novel druggable sites for targets thought to be beyond the reach of small molecule medicines, allowing us to expand our pipeline into oncology and neurology.
Our team includes experienced biopharmaceutical executives and scientists who have delivered multiple approved medicines and luminary academics spanning the fields of structural biology, immunology, and computational chemistry.
In April 2021, it was announced that Ventus Therapeutics closed US $100 million Series B financing led by RA Capital Management with participation from a select syndicate including BVF Partners L.P., Casdin Capital, Cormorant Asset Management, Fonds de solidarité FTQ, and Alexandria Venture Investments. Founding investor Versant Ventures also participated in the round, as did existing investor GV (formerly Google Ventures).
Ventus is seeking a highly motivated Principal Investigator to join our in vitro Pharmacology team. We are looking for a talented, collaborative, and dynamic scientist with expertise in assay development and execution to support small molecule drug discovery programs. Specifically, the Principal Investigator will supervise a team of scientists in the in vitro Pharmacology department to ensure the scientific excellence and overall performance of various assays to support structure-activity relationship (SAR) across multiple targets/programs. The Principal Investigator will also ensure that the program timelines and milestones are met by proactively foreseeing and assessing challenges, assessing the impact of deviations, and ensuring the overall quality of various assays.
This role is a unique opportunity to contribute to a well-funded start-up, using breakthrough science to drug previously challenging targets.
- Provide personnel management to direct reports including personnel responsibilities, training and development, providing regular direction and feedback on performance, disciplinary actions and preparing and delivering annual performance reviews
- Ensure that all biological in vitro assays (biochemical and cell-based) used to support SAR across multiple targets/programs are relevant, robust, and reproducible
- Lead the implementation of novel biological in vitro assays to support SAR across multiple targets/programs by guiding and coordinating with the in vitro Pharmacology team members
- Ensure that all SAR-related data is uploaded to the Ventus database following Ventus’ SOP
- Provide scientific and operational guidance to the in vitro Pharmacology team and promote efficiency initiatives to improve quality and/or productivity of workflows
- Identify resource constraints and inefficiencies in the workflow and work with management to resolve them
- Manage direct reports to ensure that assay workflows are aligned with project goals and timelines and communicate any delays in a prompt fashion
- Support the Pharmacology Director as needed with program lead interactions, scientific troubleshooting and support of scientific staff
- Maintain an awareness of new/emerging techniques relevant to biological in vitro assays
Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience:
- Sc. or PhD in Biochemistry or relevant field with at least 10 years of experience in small molecule drug discovery in biotechnology and/or pharma companies
- Strong expertise in the development and execution of various biological assays (biochemical and cellular) in the context of SAR to support drug discovery programs
- Highly flexible with ability to work with a sense of urgency while anticipating and responding quickly to emerging information
- Strategic thinker with proven leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Good organizational skills
- Excellent troubleshooting skills and attentive to details
- Proficient in distilling complex issues and clearly articulating execution strategies
- Able to establish priorities from multiple demands
- Demonstrate and apply an advanced level of understanding and analytical skills to interpret data and draw conclusions within the program goals
- Management experience in a team-oriented workplace
- Good communication both written and verbal in French & English
About Pender & Howe:
Ventus Therapeutics has retained Pender & Howe to lead the recruitment initiative for the Principal Investigator, in vitro Pharmacology position. Pender & Howe is a boutique retained executive search firm specializing in collaborating with human capital leaders, governing boards and CxOs in identifying exceptional leaders.
The Principal Investigator, in vitro Pharmacology search is led by Céline Chabée. For consideration, please email a copy of your CV in confidence to Céline Chabée (Principal) – [email protected].
We thank all applicants in advance. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.