Position Title: Chief Human Resources Officer
Organization: Covenant Health
Reports To: Chief Executive Officer
Location: Edmonton, AB
Leading with an innovative and compassionate response to community needs.
With a focus on serving the most vulnerable and marginalized in society, Covenant Health provides high quality care across the full range of healthcare services in 12 communities across Alberta. A leader and key partner in the Alberta healthcare system, Covenant Health is driven by innovation and compassion to meet the needs of individuals, their families, and the communities in which they live.
As one of Canada’s largest Catholic healthcare providers, Covenant Health is committed to diversity and inclusion, serving, employing and celebrating people of all faiths, cultures and backgrounds. We honour the legacy of our Catholic health ministry by fulfilling our ethical commitments and creatively giving life to our mission in the places we are called to serve. This includes building connections to and understanding the changing needs of our communities, advocating for opportunities to optimize care and address unmet needs.
With a workforce comprising approximately 11,000 staff, 730 volunteers and 2,410 physicians who either designate a Covenant site as their primary location for practice, or have privileges, Covenant Health provides a range of healthcare in communities across Alberta, including acute care services in two of Edmonton’s busiest hospitals. The Misericordia and Grey Nuns Community Hospitals account for nearly one quarter of the Emergency department visits in the Edmonton Zone and about 30 percent of the bed base in the zone.
In addition to acute care, mental health, addiction, continuing care, assisted living, hospice, rehabilitation, respite care and seniors’ housing round out the complement of services Covenant provides across the province. Covenant Health provides 1 in 4 provincially funded palliative and hospice beds in Alberta, supporting palliative needs in urban and rural communities. Covenant’s Villa Caritas is a unique acute mental health facility specializing in caring for seniors with complex mental and medical health issues.
Covenant Health is proud to be awarded designations with: Alberta’s Top 75 Employers, Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Culture, the World’s Most Ethical Companies, and a Canadian Compassionate Company.
Reporting to the CEO, and as a member of the Executive Leadership Team, the Chief Human Resources Officer (CHRO) provides executive leadership in support of the achievement of the organization’s mission, vision and strategic objectives.
The CHRO provides strategic leadership to the Human Resources and Communications portfolio. The CHRO is accountable for the planning, development, implementation and evaluation of the People Strategy and Communications & Community Engagement Plan, as well as a comprehensive range of human resources and communications programs and services.
In fulfilling these responsibilities, the CHRO will ensure all activities are carried out in a manner consistent with Covenant Health’s Mission, Values and Ethical Guidelines.
- Participate in strategic planning and execution for Covenant Health.
- Provide inspiring leadership in developing, articulating, and implementing a People Strategy that supports Covenant Health’s ability to achieve its objectives.
- Provide strategic leadership that builds on the tradition, values, and strategic directions of Covenant Health, creating a diverse culture that encourages innovation and an environment where people can do their best work in service to our patients, residents and their families.
- Provide executive leadership to the Senior Communications Officer responsible for strategic communications and external engagement strategies and programs including a broad range of communications, community engagement, public relations, social/digital and content marketing methods, and programs in support of Covenant’s mission and vision.
- Work with Senior Management to identify and fulfill the human resource needs of the organization.
- Lead the effective design and delivery of operational human resources systems, policies and initiatives, including but not limited to labour/employee relations; occupational health, safety & wellness; workforce planning; talent acquisition & recognition; learning & development; organizational development; job evaluation & design and employee benefits.
- Oversee the preparation and effective administration of the portfolio’s annual operating budget and ensure effective and efficient use of available resources.
- Support and encourage the continued development of positive relationships between management and staff through open, honest, and timely communication.
- Maintain a current awareness of leading human resource practices and HR implications of healthcare reform initiatives.
- Develop and maintain a constructive working relationship with both local and provincial union representatives.
- Establish and maintain a valued network with human resource practitioners in allied agencies, in particular Alberta Health Services.
- Direct Reports:
- Corporate Director, Labour Relations & Human Resources Client Partnerships
- Corporate Director, Talent, Learning and Organizational Effectiveness
- Corporate Director, HR Business Services and Total Compensation
- Corporate Director, Occupational Health, Safety, and Wellness
- Senior Communications Officer
- Corporate Lead
Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience:
- Master’s degree with a focus in human resources management required.
- CPHR or equivalent designation is an asset.
- A minimum of ten years of senior Human Resource experience in a large, complex, unionized health care environment required.
- Note – An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
- Generalist experience in all aspects of core human resources specialties, with extensive experience in labour relations.
- The vision to identify emerging trends in health care and human resources and participate in activities related to leading-edge human resource practices.
- Willingness to keep abreast of developing issues and challenges that have an impact upon the health care and social services environments.
- Strong customer focus, commitment to continuous quality improvement and results-oriented management style.
- Demonstrated analytical, conflict resolution, and negotiation skills.
- Superior communications and interpersonal skills/savvy.
- Innovative and dynamic leadership skills to direct the HR services of the organization with compassion, dedication and operational business acumen.
- Proven ability in promoting a strong team environment to develop and achieve shared goals and objectives.
- Strong financial, change management and organizational development skills.
- Demonstrated abilities in setting and achieving long range strategic directions, managing vision & purpose, functioning effectively within a team-based setting, managerial courage, and providing exceptional executive leadership.
- Ability to respond, in an innovative way, to the complex, fast paced evolving nature of health care delivery.
- Ability to delegate decision making.
- Ability to promote teamwork, collaboration, and partnership.
About Pender & Howe:
Covenant Health has retained Pender & Howe to lead the recruitment initiative for the Chief Human Resources Officer position.
The Chief Human Resources Officer search is led by Glenn Lesko. For consideration, please email a copy of your CV in confidence to:
Glenn Lesko (Principal) – [email protected]
We thank all applicants in advance. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.