Position: Chief Mission & Ethics Officer
Organization: Covenant Health
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Location: Edmonton, AB
About Covenant Health:
Providing acute care, continuing care and independent living services at 26 sites in 15 communities across the province.
At the heart of Catholic health care is a profound respect for the intrinsic value and dignity of every human being and an unwavering commitment to serving all people — from all backgrounds, faiths and circumstances — especially society’s most vulnerable.
Building on the legacy of our founding congregations of Sisters, who founded health care in this province over 155 years ago, the Covenant family contributes to the health and well-being of Albertans through three non-profit Catholic organizations that share a mission and values rooted in the healing ministry of Jesus.
Today, the Covenant family adds value as a key partner in Alberta’s single integrated health system, drawing on our deep-rooted call to serve the most challenging healthcare needs impacting both the overall well-being of Albertans and the sustainability of the system. Our mission-inspired culture supports our skilled and committed teams in their passion for high-quality performance, relationship-centred care and innovative approaches.
Inherent in our mission is a calling to provide the highest quality of care and service, upholding our values and ethical integrity in all we do. We use our available resources wisely to provide a solid foundation of quality, compassionate care and consistently exceed our service requirements as a provider while always seeking new approaches to achieve better outcomes for Albertans and meet our fiscal responsibilities.
We collaborate with our partners to create the conditions for a just and caring society where people’s voices are heard and everyone can thrive. We support many Albertans who are at risk, working to transform the system to ensure more timely care and supports to improve and maintain their health and well-being.
Covenant Health is a valued partner in Alberta’s integrated health system and one of Canada’s largest Catholic Health organizations. Covenant Health is proud to deliver quality, innovative health services to Albertans, and is honoured to be one of Alberta’s Top 70 Employers for 2021, a Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Culture in 2021, and one of the World’s Most Ethical Companies in 2021.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, provide executive leadership for clinical and organizational ethics, mission integration, diversity and inclusion, and spiritual care. Also responsible for teaching values-based decision-making and moral reflection in various internal and external partner Catholic leadership programs, including Board and Sponsor education and formation. The position serves as the Designated Officer for Covenant Health and Covenant Care under the Public Interest Disclosure (Whistleblower Protection) Act.
In fulfilling these responsibilities the Chief Mission & Ethics Officer will ensure all activities are in accordance with Covenant Health’s Mission, Values and Ethical Guidelines.
- Oversee Mission Services, Clinical Ethics, The Covenant Ethics and Discernment Centre, Spiritual Care Services , Clinical Pastoral Education, and Diversity and Inclusion.
- Responsible under the Mission Strategy for the strategic goals that deepen capacity for Ethical reflection and discernment (e.g. Ethisphere®).
- Accountable for developing, leading, monitoring and providing oversight of all mission integration strategies across Covenant Health.
- Ensure mission and ethical integrity in all organizational processes including planning, policy development and implementation, leadership development, financial planning, partnerships, and quality standards.
- Manage Covenant’s whistleblower hotline and investigate alleged disclosures of wrongdoing, in fulfilment of legislative duties as the the Designated Officer under PIDA Act
- Act as a resource to the organization by providing education and raising value- based questions pertinent to organizational decision-making, strategic directions and implementation.
- Provide leadership in attending to corporate congruency with health ethics by overseeing clinical and organizational business ethics, ensuring effective internal management of ethics and developing and maintaining effective relationships with relevant external ethical services and agencies, including the Public Interest Commissioner and the Archdiocese/Dioceses.
- Manage Service Agreement contractual obligations with Covenant Care and Covenant Living
- Facilitate Mission Discernment processes
- Manage the Edmonton Employee Financial Emergency Assistance Fund.
- Facilitate the development, review and revision of various organizational wide clinical and business ethics policies and procedures, including the annual Board Compliance and Business Ethics report.
- Work in a collegial manner with other members of the Senior Leadership Team and the Executive Leadership Team in promoting and integrating the mission, vision, values and ethical traditions throughout the organization and into the larger community.
- Support and encourage the continued development of positive relationships among administration, physicians and staff through open communications and a shared commitment to standards of service excellence.
- Support strategic leadership that builds on the tradition and values of Covenant Health and enhances the role of Covenant Health in upholding and delivering quality health care in a faith-based environment.
- Participate in strategic planning for Covenant Health.
- Serve as the Executive Sponsor for specific projects and initiatives as assigned by the CEO.
- Provide leadership in creating a culture that encourages innovation, enhanced customer service and a high level of staff satisfaction.
- Forge dynamic links with other health care partners, volunteer and
- community agencies, families and friends in order to strengthen outreach and advocacy initiatives.
- Joint sponsorship and/or teaching commitments in Foundations in Leadership for Catholic Organizations and the Covenant Health leadership programs.
- Provide administrative support for Board and Executive participation in the Catholic Health Association of the US’ Ecclesiology and Spiritual Renewal (Rome) program
- Oversee the administration of the annual Mission Awards and Service Through Christ recognition events
Qualifications, Knowledge, and Experience:
- Preparation at a Masters level in Christian moral theology/spirituality and/or ethics.
- Knowledge base in an administrative discipline is preferred.
- Doctor of Ministry or Philosophy, or other related degree at doctoral level an asset.
- Previous experience in mission , ethics , and leadership development required
- A minimum of seven (7) years of related experience in a leadership position, preferably in a health care environment.
- Previous experience in mission, ethics, and leadership development is required.
- Application of clinical and ethical theory and practice to operational decision making and business rhythms.
- Proven skills in management, program leadership and personal development, group facilitation, and strategic planning and implementation.
- Deep understanding of the theological underpinnings of Roman Catholic faith, practice, ethical traditions, and theology.
- A firm commitment to advancing the mission and values of Covenant Health in fulfillment of the healing ministry of the Catholic Church and the missions of the founders.
- A record of leadership in establishing linkages and partnerships.
- The vision to identify emerging faith-based health care needs and the influence to move Covenant Health forward in order to meet those needs.
- Superior communication and interpersonal skills.
- The ability to work within a strong team environment to develop and achieve shared goals and objectives.
- The ability to engage staff, physicians, volunteers and community stakeholders in moving Covenant Health forward.
- The ability to respond in an innovative way to the evolving nature of health care delivery.
- Previous experience in a leadership position within a health care environment (preferred).
- Membership with the Catholic Health Alliance of Canada Ethics Network and the Catholic Health Association of the United States Theology and Ethics Colloquium.
- Formation or Certificate in Spiritual Direction recommended, or related discernment experience
About Pender & Howe:
Covenant Health has retained Pender & Howe to lead the recruitment initiative for the Chief Mission & Ethics Officer position. Pender & Howe is a boutique retained executive search firm specializing in collaborating with human capital leaders, governing boards and CxOs in identifying exceptional leaders. More information about Pender & Howe is available at www.penderhowe.com.
The Chief Mission & Ethics Officer search is led by Glenn Lesko. For consideration, please email a copy of your CV in confidence to:
Glenn Lesko (Principal) – [email protected]
We thank all applicants in advance. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Covenant Health would like to acknowledge that what we refer to as Alberta is the traditional ancestral territory of a diversity of Indigenous peoples and home to Treaty 6, 7, and 8. We honor the Blackfoot Confederacy – Kainai, Piikani, and Siksika, the Cree, Dene, Saulteaux, Nakota Sioux, Stoney Nakoda, the Tsuu T’ina Nation and the Métis People of Alberta. This includes the Métis Settlements and the Six Regions of the Métis Nation of Alberta within the historical Northwest Métis Homeland. We recognize and give thanks to the many First Nations, Métis and Inuit who have lived in and cared for these lands for generations, all who continue to grace these lands, and all future generations. We are grateful for the traditional Knowledge Keepers and Elders who are still with us today and those who have gone before us. We make this acknowledgement as an act of reconciliation and gratitude to those whose territory we reside on or are visiting.