Organization: Weldco Companies
Opportunity: Corporate Health and Safety Director
Location: Edmonton, AB or Barrie, ON preferred
About Weldco Companies:
Weldco Companies, comprised of Weldco-Beales Manufacturing and Weldco Heavy Industries, are active participants in the heavy steel industry. Weldco-Beales Manufacturing (WBM) manufactures heavy equipment attachments and truck-mounted cranes. The products service the construction, forestry, mining and resource industries throughout Canada, U.S.A. and internationally. WBM has three branch locations; Edmonton (AB), Langley (BC), and Barrie (ON). Weldco Heavy Industries is a large steel repair and fabrication facility located in Fort McKay, 70km North of Fort McMurray (AB).
An exciting opportunity exists for a Corporate Health and Safety Director to provide expertise and leadership that will engage the operational leaders in driving the cultural evolution throughout the organization – a culture that keeps employees safe, protects the loss exposure of the company, and is focused on internal standards and values. This is a fantastic opportunity for a professional demonstrating a collaborative working style with outstanding relationship building capabilities.
- Commitment to safe working practices
- Ability to effectively manage and delegate while maintaining forward motion on key results and deliverables
- Proven team player skills with the ability to build and maintain internal and external relationships
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills
- Strong mentoring, training, and coaching to skills
- Knowledge of Human Factors Management principles
- Demonstrated commitment to ongoing learning and professional development
- Developing and implementing a strategic vision for safety
- Conducting safety meetings, audits, and inspections to ensure compliance, evaluate performance, identify corrective action, and implement follow-up assessments.
- Implementing and conducting preventative care, safety, and compliance training programs.
- Implementing, managing and maintaining a comprehensive environmental Safety & Health Management System
- Collaborating with management and branch safety coordinators to develop an Emergency Action Plan and serve as primary contact for project site injury and incident notification, investigation, and case management
- Providing technical support to the safety coordinators and the leadership team
- Staying informed and communicating about industry trends and best practices in H&S and making recommendations for continuous improvement.
- Collaborating with other departments and leaders to ensure H&S initiatives are integrated into the overall business strategy and consistency is maintained throughout the company.
- Travelling and providing regular on-site branch presence.
- Bachelor’s degree with a CRSP certification is preferred
- A Master’s degree or currently working towards completion would be an advantage
- Preferably 10+ years of Health and Safety experience, with at least 3+ years of Supervisory/Manager experience
- Knowledge of provincial legislation for AB, BC, ON and USA is an asset
- Demonstrated experience in developing and executing talent, acquisition, management and diversity strategies
- Knowledge and experience in cultural transformation
- Knowledge and experience designing and implementing management systems
- Experience in 5S + S
- Hands-on experience in a manufacturing environment
- Leadership of H&S reviews of various new and existing processes and programs
- Leadership of Change Management
- Designing and implementing training programs for manufacturing, in all aspects of H&S
- Familiarity working within the manufacturing sector.
- Exceptional relationship management and influence in leading, planning and executing complex/strategic H&S initiatives
- Demonstrated leadership skills with a superior ability to make things happen through the use of impact and influencing skills
- Strong change management skills with demonstrated ability to act as a catalyst for change
- Ability to work with multiple executive stakeholders and capable of providing effective guidance and challenge where appropriate
- Ability to effectively deal with issues and move them forward using the appropriate H&S channels while providing expert counsel and consultation to business partners on their strategic plans
- Strong organizational skills, with the ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple deadlines and priorities
- Highly developed critical thinking, analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal)
- Self-motivated team player with high energy and ability to work independently
This position requires approximately 30% travel to other branches.
Weldco is a progressive organization offering competitive wages and comprehensive benefits.
- Multiple schedule options with shorter work weeks.
- Competitive pay and comprehensive benefits package.
- Employee Assistance Program, MSP (BC).
- Company Pension Plan (company matched).
- Service awards in 5-year increments.
- Company/team events.
- Personal growth.
- Career advancement opportunities.
- Education/professional development support.
- A workplace that prides itself on safety, respect, and results.
Weldco Companies is a subsidiary of IDC (Inuvialuit Development Corporation) and is 100% Inuvialuit owned. Weldco provides Employment and Career Development opportunities for its beneficiaries and employees. As an equal opportunity employer, Weldco’s goal is for our employees to be as diverse as our products. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply. If you require accommodation at any point throughout this process, we will work with you to meet your needs.
Application Process with Pender & Howe:
Weldco Companies has retained Pender & Howe to lead the recruitment initiative for the Corporate Health and Safety Director position. Pender & Howe is a boutique retained executive search firm specializing in collaborating with human capital leaders, governing boards, and organizational leaders in identifying exceptional talent.
The search is led by Glenn Lesko. For consideration, please email a copy of your CV in confidence to:
Glenn Lesko (Partner) – [email protected]
While we appreciate all applications, only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.