** This opportunity is now successfully closed**
Position Title: Director, Facilities
Organization: Havergal College
Reports To: Chief Operating Officer
Havergal College is a leading independent day and boarding school for girls from Junior Kindergarten to Grade 12. Committed to the values of integrity, inquiry, compassion and courage, Havergal has been preparing young women to make a difference in the world since 1894. Havergal offers a strong liberal arts education, the curriculum designed around the pillars of academics and wellbeing, extensive co-curricular opportunities and boarding for students in Grades 9 to 12.
About Havergal College:
At Havergal College, each student is supported to make empowering choices and become the architect of her education. The school’s liberal arts education cultivates the curiosity and collaborative mindset that a rapidly-changing world demands. This foundation fosters an attitude of inquiry and a mind open to new ideas and varied perspectives. Our students learn new ways to express themselves with creativity, enthusiasm and self-confidence. A Havergal education sets the stage for future success and a lifetime of discovery and learning.
The school is situated on a beautiful 22-acre campus in Toronto and employs more than 200 faculty and administrative staff. Havergal has more than 9,500 alumnae in more than 70 countries around the globe.
Enrollment at the school averages 1,000 students per year and our Boarding School is home to approximately 50 local and international students annually. Havergal is known for its stimulating and supportive learning environment, alongside its strong community that fosters self-confidence, leadership and teamwork.
The Director of Facilities provides leadership in setting the direction for the design, planning, construction, and maintenance of the organization’s building, grounds, equipment, security, construction, and other facilities management activities to achieve optimal utilization of the College’s buildings and grounds. In addition, the Director of Facilities ensures compliance with the regulations and integrity of the historical status and designation of the main building. Ensuring optimum use of space, the Director of Facilities will manage building resources initiatives to secure the well-being of the organization’s physical assets, on-going maintenance, and management and projects that have system-wide effects that require focusing on cost saving alternatives and viabilities for the College.
- Articulate a clear strategic vision for facilities throughout the College with an innovative approach
- Participate in the development and refresh of a long-term master campus plan for the School, including liaising with consultants, collecting data, and generating reports and presentations for the SLT, and Board Committees
- Lead and manage the design and coordination of building space allocation and layout, facility expansion, involving needs analysis, plan development, review and or preparing of specifications and overseeing contractors for external projects
- Lead and manage the new construction and renovations, including developing cost estimates for capital projects, contracts, and equipment
- Manage the implementation of short and long-term strategies in the areas of asset management, maintenance programs, building operations, energy management, engineering management, and compliance with applicable facility construction legislation, codes, and guidelines.
- Provide effective leadership to Security, Grounds and Building Service operations, providing guidance and management including onboarding, ensuring regular and up to date training of all equipment and safety procedure and providing regular performance feedback
- Provide general site support to the team and as required by being visible and accessible on campus
- Oversee the safe and efficient start-up of school and the move in process
- Procurement of furniture, fixtures, and equipment
- Lead and manage the regular maintenance contracts, timelines, and budget, and liaise directly with contractors
- Maintain a high level of quality customer service and experience for all stakeholders
- Provide oversight to construction and maintenance projects of various sizes, including the design, costing, preparation of documentation, the RFP process, coordinating the professional contractors/consultant selection process, defining project requirements and ensuring that project closeouts are completed promptly and efficiently while representing the needs and the best interests of the College
- Lead and manage the waste disposal and environmental initiatives
- Provide oversight and management of facilities rental agreements
- Oversee the management of the custodial contract, and management of in-house staff.
- Responsible for the facilities operational budget and capital spends budgets as approved and determined by the COO and Principal
- Managing the tender process within school policy
- Responsible for the efficient implementation, function, and reporting within the computerized maintenance management system (CMMS)
- Diagnose mechanical and electrical issues as required and coordinate the planning and preventive maintenance, repairs, operations, and shutdowns
- Conduct regular inspections of the facilities to detect and resolve problems and ensure an inspection rotation process is in place
- Develop and implement policies and procedures and systems to ensure the efficient, safe and timely provision of facility services in the School, compliance with regulations and laws relating to facilities, Health and Safety guidelines, labour guidelines, and local and federal codes.
- Ensure the safety of the facilities for all employees, students and public through the adherence to facilities related safety policies and procedures
- Liaise with regulatory and government officials and obtain approval for zoning, site plan agreements and official plan amendments where required
- Coordinate building and utility shutdowns with the school, minimizing impact to building/school operations
Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience:
- Post-secondary education (preferably PEng designation)
- Demonstrated progressive experience in facilities management in leadership roles
- Multi-discipline construction experience, with progressive management and supervisory related responsibilities
- Knowledge of and exposure to relevant regulations and historical building requirements and implications is also required in this position
- Must have refined project management experience
- Strong communication skills (oral and written)
- Demonstrated expertise in of contract negotiation
- Demonstrated experience in contract dispute and resolution
- Knowledge of building automation systems
- Ability to manage several projects progressing simultaneously
- Demonstrated ability and commitment to the Core Competencies of;
- Inclusive Excellence
- Collaboration & Teamwork
- Growth Mindset
- Learning Agility
- Integrity & Trust
- Demonstrated ability and commitment to the Leadership Competencies of;
- Managerial Courage
- Champion Change & Innovation
- Coach & Develop Others
- Organization structure development within the Facilities team
- Purpose Alignment & Results
Havergal College is an equal opportunity employer. Havergal is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process, and work environment in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). We will be happy to work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process. If you require accommodations, please contact Cathy LeBlanc at 416-483-3519 ext. 6526 or by email at [email protected].
About Pender & Howe:
Havergal College has retained Pender & Howe to lead the recruitment initiative for the Director of Facilities position. Pender & Howe is a boutique retained executive search firm specializing in collaborating with human capital leaders, governing boards and CxOs in identifying exceptional leaders.
The Director of Facilities search is led by Travis Hann and Tara-Lynn Dent. For consideration, please email a copy of your CV in confidence to:
We thank all applicants in advance. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.