** This opportunity is now successfully closed**
Position Available: Head of Academics
Location: Rundle College Society Office
Start date: August 17, 2023
Capacity: 1, Full-Time Permanent Position
Application closing date: Until suitable candidates are selected
Rundle College Society is an independent, coeducational, day school program that was founded in 1985 and provides an outstanding educational experience for approximately 1221 students in Kindergarten through Grade 12.
Rundle College Society is a not-for-profit corporation with approximately 175 faculty and 37 staff, it has a strong presence in the community as an established employer.
Rundle College is committed to its Mission: to create a nurturing, engaging environment that provides an enriched, personalized education, preparing students for an ever-changing world. Rundle College will help students discover their potential, challenge them to attain their best and celebrate with them when they do.
Rundle includes two separate brick and mortar schools: Rundle College, which hosts about 890 students in Kindergarten through Grade 12 and Rundle Academy, with approximately 270 students and 40 staff in Grades 4 through 12. The Academy is a Designated Special Education Program (DSEPS). DSEPS is an acronym for ‘Designated Special Education Private Schools’. Every student at Rundle Academy is diagnosed with a mild/moderate learning disability and/or ADHD.
Rundle expanded their offerings in 2021-2022 to become the leader in remote personalized learning for students with learning disabilities through the creation of Rundle Studio Jr. High. Rundle Studio brings a unique learning opportunity to learning disabled students globally. Leveraging current brain research, attachment theories and technological advancements, Rundle Studio delivers teaching and learning through a world-class remote approach to empower underserved learning disability students provincially, nationally, and globally with deep thinking and future ready skill development. Rundle Studio launched in the fall of 2021 and currently has 28 students, split into two classes of grade 7’s, 8’s and 9’s. In 2023-2024, Rundle Studio will expand to offer grade 10 as well, and will continue to include grades 11 and 12 in high school the following two years.
The Head of Academics leads the Rundle College Society (“Rundle”) community related to its academic program. The main purpose is to support the Head of School and Principals in achieving the mission, vision, and values of Rundle.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Support the mission, vision and values of Rundle.
- Oversee the academic programs across Rundle, which includes oversight on all areas of planning, instruction, assessment, personalization, Learning Management System, report cards, curricular changes, professional development, Tactical and Intelligent Problem Solving, faculty evaluations and staff mentorship.
- Supervise and lead the Principals.
- Chair the Professional Development Committee.
- Act as a resource when the Head of School, Assistant Heads, Directors or Principals require support in all areas related to the academic programs across Rundle.
- Report matters pertaining to academics to the Head of School and Board of Directors.
- Work with the Head of Business to provide oversight of the professional development budgets, each school’s instructional budget and spending as well as school generated funds accounts.
- Align and standardize practices across Rundle’s schools with the mission, vision, and values of Rundle.
- Other duties as assigned by the Head of School.
- Vacation time aligns with the school calendar.
- Attending events and supporting school culture.
Knowledge, Skills & Technical Ability:
- Demonstrated ability to lead the planning, instruction, and assessment programming in a school.
- Demonstrated ability to develop programming for students with mild to moderate learning disabilities.
- Demonstrated ability to provide strategic, situational and adaptive leadership.
- Demonstrated ability to act as the team leader in a variety of situations (community, school division, and/or provincial bodies).
- Demonstrated ability to contribute as a strategic team member.
- Demonstrated ability to establish rapport with stakeholders and act as a role model.
- Demonstrated ability to provide for the professional growth and evaluation of staff.
- Demonstrated ability to create innovative solutions to a wide range of problems.
- Ability to develop, implement, reflect on and monitor multiple processes.
- Demonstrated ability to present and promote change at the organizational level.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize multiple demands and effectively manage time.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain strict confidentiality relative to school operations.
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Alberta teaching and leadership certificate.
- Master’s degree in related fields.
- Minimum of five years experience in school leadership role at Principal level or higher.
Rundle has retained Pender & Howe to lead the recruitment initiative for their Head of Academics recruit. Pender & Howe is a boutique executive search firm specializing in collaborating with human capital leaders, governing boards and executives in identifying exceptional leaders.
Pender & Howe understands that a diverse workforce is essential for creating an environment that fosters creativity, collaboration, and critical thinking. We actively seek out and value diverse perspectives and encourage all who are interested to apply regardless of their background.
To this end, we highly value confidentiality – both for our clients and candidates. Pender & Howe ensures that all the information that is shared with us is kept in confidence unless stated otherwise.
The Head of Academics search is led by Travis Hann. For consideration, please email a copy of your CV to:
Travis Hann, Partner
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.