** This opportunity is now successfully closed**
Position Title: Head of Middle School
Organization: Havergal College
Reports To: Associate Head of School
About Havergal College:
Havergal College is a leading independent day and boarding school for girls from Junior Kindergarten to Grade 12. Committed to the values of integrity, inquiry, compassion and courage, Havergal has been preparing young women to make a difference in the world since 1894. Havergal offers a strong liberal arts education, the curriculum designed around the pillars of academics and wellbeing, extensive co-curricular opportunities and boarding for students in Grades 9 to 12.
At Havergal College, each student is supported to make empowering choices and become the architect of her education. The school’s liberal arts education cultivates the curiosity and collaborative mindset that a rapidly-changing world demands. This foundation fosters an attitude of inquiry and a mind open to new ideas and varied perspectives. Our students learn new ways to express themselves with creativity, enthusiasm and self-confidence. A Havergal education sets the stage for future success and a lifetime of discovery and learning.
The school is situated on a beautiful 22-acre campus in Toronto and employs more than 200 faculty and administrative staff. Havergal has more than 9,500 alumnae in more than 70 countries around the globe.
Enrollment at the school averages 1,000 students per year and our Boarding School is home to approximately 50 local and international students annually. Havergal is known for its stimulating and supportive learning environment, alongside its strong community that fosters self-confidence, leadership and teamwork.
The academic environment at Havergal College is distinguished by exceptional teachers and dedicated staff who provide dynamic, thoughtful and supportive academic and wellbeing programs for students.
The Head of Middle School advances the Strategic Direction of Havergal by promoting contemporary wellbeing practices that equip students with the skills and strategies to be resilient and able to thrive throughout their lives. They work diligently to ensure that each student is known and has effective access to the opportunities and experiences afforded by the scope of Havergal’s Middle Years Program.
Reporting to the Associate Head of School, the Head of Middle School is accountable for developing a safe, equitable and inclusive culture that aligns with the College’s Mission and Values, an environment and culture where Middle School students flourish at this crucial period in their education. This role includes the oversight of the health and wellbeing of Grades 7 & 8 students and participating in the development of a strong wellbeing program designed for girls in their middle school years. In collaboration with the Head of Senior School, the Head of Middle School is also responsible for the smooth daily functioning of Upper School (7-12) operations, and specifically the Middle School operations.
The Head of Middle School must demonstrate strong teamwork skills, attention to deliverables on acceptable and expected timelines, initiative with the ongoing improvement of Middle School programming and operations, attention to effective transitions between the Middle School and the Junior and Senior School Programs, and an have an exemplary work ethic that underpins their accountability for all aspects of Havergal’s Middle School.
This role carries a teaching allocation in the Middle Years, at the discretion of the Principal.
In this role, students, parents and faculty must feel that the Head of Middle School is approachable, available, knowledgeable, genuine and supportive.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Experience:
- Strategic leadership – ability to realize and operationalize an effective and appropriate Middle School Program that aligns with and furthers the College’s Strategic Direction 2020+
- Strong understanding of the developmental needs of Middle School students
- Familiarity with the priorities and contemporary approaches within girls’ educational environments
- Experience and reputation as an outstanding classroom teacher at the grades 6-9 level
- Exceptional and sound professional judgment and problem-solving ability
- Demonstrated leadership skills with both the ability to develop teams and be an effective team-player
- Demonstrated initiative in programing and a proactive, inquiry stance in dealing with faculty, students and parents
- Excellent interpersonal skills – approachable and open with the proven ability to work collaborative with others and a proactive approach with all constituents
- Excellent organizational and technology skills
- Exceptional communication skills – written and oral in a timely and effective manner
- Excellent time-management and prioritization skills with the ability to multitask and work well under pressure, think strategically and operationally and work independently
- Skillful planning, detailed project management and resourcefulness
- Leadership qualifications are an asset
- Demonstrated ability and commitment to the Core Competencies of;
- Inclusive Excellence
- Collaboration & Teamwork
- Integrity & Trust
- Learning Agility
- Growth Mindset
- Demonstrated ability and commitment to the Leadership Competencies of;
- Coach & Develop Others
- Managerial Courage
- Champion Change & Innovation
- Purpose Alignment & Results
Havergal College is an equal opportunity employer. Havergal is committed to an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process, and work environment in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). We will be happy to work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of the hiring process. If you require accommodations, please contact Cathy LeBlanc at 416-483-3519 ext. 6526 or by email at [email protected].
The Head of Middle School search is led by Glenn Lesko and Tara-Lynn Dent. For consideration, please email a copy of your CV in confidence to:
Glenn Lesko – [email protected]
Tara-Lynn Dent – [email protected]
We thank all applicants in advance. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.