Organization: Biologics Manufacturing Centre (BMC) Inc.
Role: President & CEO
Location: Montreal, QC
The Biologics Manufacturing Centre (BMC) Inc. is a new end-to-end biomanufacturing facility to support the future growth of Canada’s biomanufacturing production capacity, ensuring that vaccines and other biologics can be safely manufactured here at home.
The BMC is looking for a President & Chief Executive Officer (CEO) to lead the newly established organization’s long-term strategy, ensuring alignment with its mandate and Canada’s overarching biomanufacturing strategy.
Reporting to the BMC’s Board of Directors, the CEO will be expected to: set the tone for the organization; provide strategic direction and leadership in the execution of the organization’s mandate balancing risk and social corporate responsibility. The ideal candidate for the CEO position is knowledgeable in biomanufacturing operations, financially savvy, business-minded and results-driven with entrepreneurial skills and the ability to collaborate effectively with others. The CEO should have a big-picture vision, seeing the BMC as part of the broader ecosystem. A collaborative leader is crucial to leverage synergies with other organizations nationwide and benefit the Canadian ecosystem.
In addition, the candidate should have a solid understanding of CMO operations, requirements to deliver on public good mandates, management of government funding, and not-for-profit operations.
The responsibilities of the President and CEO include:
- Serve as the figurative head of the organization.
- Lead the ideation, planning, and implementation of new and long-term business strategies.
- Establish and oversee the delivery of operational measurable objectives and goals with the BMC operations management team, direct and manage the overall activities of the organization.
- Proactively oversee the management of the organization’s assets and liabilities and ensure financial sustainability and operational result.
- Engagement with the government in the delivery of its public good mandate. and a mandate for the public good, which may involve producing pharmaceuticals for rare disease groups with limited markets.
Experience, Knowledge and Skill Set
- A Bachelor’s degree from a recognized university with a specialization in science or engineering and business degree or relevant experience.
- Minimum of 10 years of senior executive management level related work experience with broad knowledge and understanding across all functions of biomanufacturing operations.
- Extensive managerial experience either progressive or in other industries.
- Comprehensive business knowledge developed in all aspects of operations, including the establishment and implementation of systems, policies and processes.
- Solid understanding of requirements in engagement with the Government; management of government funding; operations of a not-for-profit.
- Ability to navigate through two distinct environments, namely the private and public sectors, to promote the interests of BMC.
- Understanding of the requirements in a start-up production environment and establishing new supply chains.
- Excellent professional communication skills, the ability to communicate at all levels including boards, shareholders, government entities, media, suppliers and employees.
- Distinctive executive presence and gravitas; excellent communicator who creates a strong corporate culture.
- Demonstrated experience in delivering outstanding corporate strategies.
- Bilingualism – French and English.
The BMC’s diversity is a source of its excellence, creativity, and innovation. The organization’s respectful and inclusive work environment allows employees to bring their best to work each day. The organization values equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) in all that they do.
About Pender & Howe Executive Search
The BMC has retained Pender & Howe to lead the recruitment initiative for the President & CEO position. Pender & Howe is a boutique retained executive search firm specializing in collaborating with human capital leaders, governing boards and CxOs in identifying exceptional leaders. More information about Pender & Howe is available at www.penderhowe.com.
As an executive search firm, Pender & Howe has a deep social responsibility to recognize and champion Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in every recruiting assignment. We embrace a wide range of qualities and perspectives candidates bring and encourage them to apply regardless of their backgrounds.
To this end, we highly value confidentiality – both for our clients and candidates. Pender & Howe ensures that all the information that is shared with us is kept with strict confidence.
The President & CEO search is led by Céline Chabée. For consideration, please email a copy of your CV in confidence to: