Position Title: Head of Communication and Engagement
Organization: Covenant Health
Reports To: Chief Innovation Officer (CIO)
About Covenant Health:
Providing acute care, continuing care and independent living services at 26 sites in 15 communities across the province.
At the heart of Catholic health care is a profound respect for the intrinsic value and dignity of every human being and an unwavering commitment to serving all people — from all backgrounds, faiths and circumstances — especially society’s most vulnerable.
Building on the legacy of our founding congregations of Sisters, who founded health care in this province over 155 years ago, the Covenant family contributes to the health and well-being of Albertans through three non-profit Catholic organizations that share a mission and values rooted in the healing ministry of Jesus.
Today, the Covenant family adds value as a key partner in Alberta’s single integrated health system, drawing on our deep-rooted call to serve the most challenging healthcare needs impacting both the overall well-being of Albertans and the sustainability of the system. Our mission-inspired culture supports our skilled and committed teams in their passion for high-quality performance, relationship-centred care and innovative approaches.
Inherent in our mission is a calling to provide the highest quality of care and service, upholding our values and ethical integrity in all we do. We use our available resources wisely to provide a solid foundation of quality, compassionate care and consistently exceed our service requirements as a
provider while always seeking new approaches to achieve better outcomes for Albertans and meet our fiscal responsibilities.
We collaborate with our partners to create the conditions for a just and caring society where people’s voices are heard and everyone can thrive. We support many Albertans who are at risk, working to transform the system to ensure more timely care and supports to improve and maintain
their health and well-being.
Covenant Health is a valued partner in Alberta’s integrated health system and one of Canada’s largest Catholic Health organizations. Covenant Health is proud to deliver quality, innovative health services to Albertans, and is honoured to be one of Alberta’s Top 70 Employers for 2021, a Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Culture in 2021, and one of the World’s Most Ethical Companies in 2021.
Reporting to the Chief Innovation Officer, the Head of Communication and Engagement provides visionary leadership in the design, implementation and evaluation of an integrated internal and external communications and community engagement strategy, aligned with Covenant Health’s mission, vision, values and strategic objectives.
The Head of Communication and Engagement oversees Covenant’s branding and marketing strategy and actively contributes to the advancement of Covenant’s strategic plan, ensuring effective engagement of internal and external stakeholders in building awareness and understanding of Covenant’s significant contribution to the Alberta healthcare system.
As a member of the Senior Leadership Team (SLT), the Head of Communication and Engagement translates the Covenant family’s strategy into measurable action, fulfill stewardship accountabilities and ensure integration and collaboration between divisions across all three organizations. The Head of Communication and Engagement will inform and determine the approach to execute on the organization’s strategy, including coordination of priority execution (resource requirements, pace, milestones, integration, sequencing). The purpose is to collaboratively work to fulfill our mission and to shape and translate action to achieve the Covenant vision: to be leaders and partners in transforming health care and creating vibrant communities of health and healing.
The Head of Communication and Engagement supports the Covenant Executive Leadership Team as well as provides strategic and operational direction to the Senior Leadership Team’s Direct Report Committees (e.g. Operational Leadership Team, Finance Leadership, HR Direct Reports etc.).
The Head of Communication and Engagement provides expert advice and counsel to the CEO and senior leadership; observing public opinion and trends and ensuring they are considered in organizational decision-making.
The Head of Communication and Engagement provides oversight and leadership to the Digital with Talent-Learning-Organizational Development in accordance to Covenant’s Strategic Direction.
The Head of Communication and Engagement leads a team of communications professionals in the delivery of a high quality strategic and operational communications expertise to the organization.
- Provide strategic vision and direction to the design, implementation and evaluation of an integrated internal and external communications and community engagement strategy, aligned with Covenant’s mission, vision, values and strategic objectives.
- Oversees Covenant’s branding and marketing strategy
- Lead the design, implementation, and evaluation of a branding strategy to build and enhance public awareness of Covenant’s value to the health care system and advance the organization’s reputation.
- Provide responsive, strategic advice and expertise to executive and senior leaders in responding to emerging issues which may impact patients, residents, workforce, or the public.
- Identifies and mitigates or leverages environmental and social trends that may influence internal and external perceptions of the organization.
- Effectively discerns the level of risk and develops well-thought-out short-term and long-term mitigating strategies.
- Build, develop and sustain a team of mission driven, high functioning communications professionals equipped to provide high quality, strategic and operational communications expertise to the organization.
- Evaluates effectiveness of internal and external communications/community engagement strategies, adjusting approaches, as required.
- Fosters a culture that encourages trust, innovation, enhanced customer service and a high level of team engagement.
- Sets a clear vision for the team and ensures role clarity.
- Provides direction on standards of performance, ensuring support for growth and development.
- Demonstrates leadership courage in addressing concerns and issues in a respectful and timely manner.
- Effectively engage internal and external stakeholders in building awareness and understanding of Covenant Health’s significant contribution to the Alberta health care system.
- Foster strong engagement and trust with the Board, leadership team and the wider workforce, as well as the public and other partners and stakeholders, including but not limited to Government, Alberta Health Services, Catholic Health organizations and other Catholic ministries and public agencies, as well as the media.
- Oversees the Digital with Talent-Learning-Organizational Development in accordance to Covenant’s Strategic Direction.
- Collaborate with Digital Communications & Creative Services, External Relations, and other key partners to ensure synchronicity and consistent messaging inside and outside the organization.
Qualifications, Knowledge, and Experience:
- Baccalaureate degree in communications, public relations, arts, or social sciences.
- Master’s degree in communications, public relations, arts, or social sciences (preferred).
- 5+ years’ progressive experience in a communications leadership role in a large, unionized organization of significant complexity and diversity.
- Adept at overseeing complex strategic branding and marketing programs/initiatives.
- Proven experience advising executive/senior leaders on communications strategy and best practices.
- Exceptional issues management skills including the ability to discern risk and respond strategically.
- Proven leadership experience in developing and implementing effective, integrated communications programs and services within a large organization.
- Strong community engagement experience with demonstrated ability to develop messaging and narrative for complex organizations to position them in the marketplace.
- Demonstrated understanding of communications best practices, the vision to identify emerging trends in communications, and the ability to champion and implement new operational initiatives.
- Ability to work with digital and change management knowledge.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication, interpersonal, and negotiating skills, along with excellent operational and financial acumen.
- Demonstrated ability to coach and mentor others to develop high performing, integrated teams.
- Strong customer focus, commitment to continuous quality improvement and results-oriented management style.
- Proven ability to foster partnerships and work collaboratively with key partners and funders to achieve organizational goals.
- Ability to foster a climate of cooperation and build solid relationships with public agencies, government, boards, committees and other partners.
About Pender & Howe:
Covenant Health has retained Pender & Howe to lead the recruitment initiative for the Head of Communication and Engagement position. Pender & Howe is a boutique retained executive search firm specializing in collaborating with human capital leaders, governing boards and CxOs in identifying exceptional leaders. More information about Pender & Howe is available at www.penderhowe.com.
The Head of Communication and Engagement search is led by Glenn Lesko. For consideration, please apply via the “apply now” button or email a copy of your CV in confidence to:
Glenn Lesko (Principal) – [email protected]
We thank all applicants in advance. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Covenant Health would like to acknowledge that what we refer to as Alberta is the traditional ancestral territory of a diversity of Indigenous peoples and home to Treaty 6, 7, and 8. We honor the Blackfoot Confederacy – Kainai, Piikani, and Siksika, the Cree, Dene, Saulteaux, Nakota Sioux, Stoney Nakoda, the Tsuu T’ina Nation and the Métis People of Alberta. This includes the Métis Settlements and the Six Regions of the Métis Nation of Alberta within the historical Northwest Métis Homeland. We recognize and give thanks to the many First Nations, Métis and Inuit who have lived in and cared for these lands for generations, all who continue to grace these lands, and all future generations. We are grateful for the traditional Knowledge Keepers and Elders who are still with us today and those who have gone before us. We make this acknowledgement as an act of reconciliation and gratitude to those whose territory we reside on or are visiting.