Organization: Safe Fleet
Position: Vice President, Engineering
Location: Coquitlam, British Columbia
About Safe Fleet:
Safe Fleet is working relentlessly to reduce preventable accidents for fleets around the world with an integrated platform of smart safety solutions. Their onboard video systems assure parents their children are in good hands. Safe Fleet protects law enforcement and increases transparency with next-gen body cameras and in-car video that captures evidence as officers head into danger. The company designs technology that makes waste pickup safer for operators and those around them. Additionally, Safe Fleet reduces bus blind spots so bus drivers can see better, preventing injuries to passengers and pedestrians. These are just a few of the ways Safe Fleet makes a difference.
Though Safe Fleet might not be a household name, chances are you’ve already experienced their products at work, making fleet vehicles you see every day smarter and safer. They’ve acquired the best and brightest brands in safety and created innovative solutions for every market they serve from fire trucks to home delivery vans, school buses to garbage trucks. Safe Fleet is committed to saving lives, preventing injuries and making fleets more productive. Every member of the Safe Fleet family is part of this commitment.
You can learn more about Safe Fleet via – https://youtu.be/38rrVBvngoM
Safe Fleet is looking for a highly experienced and motivated VP of Engineering to lead the engineering team in developing and delivering high-quality products and services to their customers. As the VP of Engineering, you will be responsible for managing and directing all aspects of engineering activities, including research and development, product design, testing, and production related to the Passenger Transportation, Law and Waste (PTLW) Video segment of the business. Safe Fleet’s PTLW division provides innovative safety solutions for School Bus, Transit Bus & Rail, Law Enforcement and Waste & Recycling fleets, with a focus on improving safety and efficiency for drivers, passengers, and the public.
- Provide overall business leadership to PTLW group as part of the senior leadership team.
- Lead and manage the engineering team, providing guidance and support to ensure the successful delivery of products and services.
- Drive a culture of innovation and continuous improvement, leveraging data and market insights to identify new technologies, methodologies, and best practices, including driving SW and HW productivity improvements.
- Develop and maintain engineering budgets, schedules, and resource plans to ensure that projects are completed on time and within budget.
- Collaborate with other departments, such as product management, sales, and marketing, to ensure that engineering activities align with overall business goals and objectives.
- Provide leadership and mentorship to high-performing teams, fostering a culture of innovation, collaboration, and continuous improvement.
- Utilize data-driven insights to make informed decisions, optimize processes, and drive product rationalization efforts.
- Ensure that all products and services meet or exceed customer expectations for quality, performance, and reliability.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key customers, suppliers, and partners to facilitate product development and delivery.
- Manage intellectual property related to engineering activities, including patents and trade secrets.
- Participate in the development of strategic plans and goals for the company as a member of the executive team.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Engineering or related field.
- 8+ years of progressive experience in engineering leadership roles, preferably in a related industry.
- Strong technical background and understanding of software development methodologies, embedded systems, cloud infrastructure, and SaaS.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage a team of engineers and drive results.
- Proven track record of delivering high-quality products and services on time and within budget.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and problem-solving skills
- Proven experience in strategic product planning and execution, including experience with portfolio rationalization.
- Knowledge of security compliance frameworks such as SOC 2, ISO 27001, and NIST 800-53.
- Ability to work collaboratively with cross-functional teams.
- Strong strategic thinking and planning skills.
- Familiarity with industry standards and regulations.
- Experience with product development processes, including design, prototyping, testing, and manufacturing.
- Strong understanding of business strategy and demonstrating delivery of strategy.
- Strong understanding of SDLC and software development principles.
- Ability to travel up to 30% of the time.
- Experience working with government agencies and understanding government regulations and compliance requirements.
- Experience managing a large and growing product portfolio with diverse offerings, including both software and hardware-based solutions.
- Strong understanding of IoT technologies and their application in fleet management solutions.
- Experience leveraging internal data and analytics to drive product decisions and optimize product performance.
- Experience with incident response and managing security incidents.
- Experience with cloud technologies such as Azure, AWS, and Google Cloud Platform in addition and on-premise solutions.
- Bilingual in Spanish is a plus.
In this highly sought after position, we are seeking an entrepreneurial, open minded, inquisitive, and exceedingly collaborative leader to join the team. If you are a results-driven leader with a passion for engineering and a desire to make a difference, we encourage you to apply for this exciting opportunity to join the team at Safe Fleet.
About Pender & Howe
Safe Fleet has retained Pender & Howe Executive Search to lead the recruitment initiative for their VP, Engineering position. Pender & Howe is a boutique executive search firm specializing in collaborating with human capital leaders, governing boards and executives in identifying exceptional leaders. More information about Pender & Howe is available at www.penderhowe.com.
We understand that a diverse workforce is essential for creating an environment that fosters creativity, collaboration, and critical thinking. We actively seek out and value diverse perspectives and encourage all who are interested to apply regardless of their background.
The VP, Engineering search is led by Ryan Berrecloth. For consideration, please email a copy of your CV to:
We thank all applicants for their interest. All applications will be reviewed to determine which candidates’ qualifications most closely match the advertised requirements. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.